Saturday, August 7, 2010

hope floats

A few weeks ago, I was flipping through the channels on my television and came across "Hope Floats". I love that movie. It is a difficult film to watch at times but there are so many sweet little parts to it that warm my heart.

Perhaps the hardest part to watch is when the grandmother is tucking Bernice into bed and reassuring her that everything is going to be fine and that her mother, Birdie, is a strong woman who just doesn't know her own strength yet. Little Bernice grabs her grandmother in a long hug to which she responds with, "My cup runneth over". The contentment that the grandmother finds in that moment is profound. Even though her husband has Alzheimer's and no longer recognizes her, her daughter's life is torn apart by infidelity, and her little grandson has been abandoned by his parents, she is overwhelmed with gratitude. In the midst of her crummy circumstances, she is filled with joy. Now, if you've seen the movie, you know that the next scene is where several boxes of tissues are necessary.

There have been several times in the past few days where I have had moments where I have been tempted to feel sorry for myself or dwell on hurt. And sometimes those feelings win. But, God has graciously shown me glimpses of how much he loves me through the people he's placed in my life. And he's answered even the smallest of prayers in the past few days.

So as I am sitting at Schlotzsky's this Saturday morning and enjoying their free internet, I am thankful. Thankful for good coffee, family who is selfless and loves me unconditionally, friends who make me laugh, a sweet little dog who is always happy to see me, a job that I'm excited about returning to, air conditioning, health, and God's grace.

My cup runneth over.

No comments: