Sunday, January 27, 2008

Just call me Marian

All the signs were there.
-I have been reading since I was three or four years old.
-I was in the highest reading group in 1st grade with only one person, my best friend Susan. We called ourselves the "Strawberries".
-I would get giddy during book fair week.
-I would count down the days until the newest edition of "Babysitters Club" was released and then devour the book in a hour. Then, I would read it again.
-My favorite part of 8th grade was doing my first big research paper, complete with notecards.
-I loved going to the public library to do research and looking up archived articles on microfiche (I probably just lost half of my readers who have no idea what that is)
-I recently bought a new pair of glasses.

So, I have decided that I want to become a librarian. I have toyed with this idea for the past 4 years but am finally ready to do something about it. I am just not happy in the classroom anymore and want to work my way out of there. As a librarian, I can come in each day, make a list, check things off of it, and go home. No lesson planning. No grading. No discipline issues. NO PARENTS BREATHING DOWN MY NECK!!!!

I am starting to study for the GRE and am working on applying for the Masters of Library Science program at either the University of North Texas or TWU. That means that I hopefully only have two more years of teaching. Yea! I am not 100% positive that spending everyday with the Dewey Decimal System is my ultimate career, but I am a firm believer in moving. I realized back in college that the Lord does not always give us details, but rather he wants us to pursue something and do it for his glory.

2 comments:

melissaj said...

I have the perfect name for your next dog...Dewey! Love ya girl

Anonymous said...

Ummm... its definitely been too many weeks since we've talked... I can't believe this is officially happening! Let's get on the phone soon. Miss you...