Wednesday, April 29, 2009

comfort food

Last week, The Pioneer Woman posted a macaroni and cheese recipe on her cooking blog. It looked delicious. And I followed the directions perfectly. Apparently, I am not adept at making a roux because the texture of my cheese changed upon baking and curdled.
So because I had not mastered the Mac 'N Cheese, I embarked on a quest to find a delicious, homemade recipe that did not require a roux. After much research online, consultations with friends (thanks Carrie!), I finally found a recipe that seemed to fit my requirements. It was delicious and as many of the reviewers state, it is just as easy as making the Kraft version.

Give it a try...you won't be sorry. I followed this recipe exactly as-is except that I used 5 oz sharp white cheddar and 5 oz of Extra Sharp cheddar. If you don't like sharp cheese, then I am sure it would work well with mild cheddar.

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese by Alton Brown


Ingredients

* 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 2 eggs
* 6 ounces evaporated milk
* 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* Fresh black pepper
* 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
* 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

Directions

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

1 comment:

Matt and Emily said...

that is so funny. I just pulled out a recipe for mac and cheese from a magazine today. I don't ever make it so it is kinda random. i'll let you know how it turns out and then i'll try yours.