Monday, December 3, 2007

Oh Tannenbaum...

This is the view from my dining room-that-I-turned-into-a-second-living-room room. Yes, friends, that is a Christmas tree. I put it together yesterday, all by myself. Well, that's not entirely true. Claire did a couple of branches and then 'supervised' from the couch while drinking her morning coffee. My friend, Mandy, helped me with the lights last night, and then this afternoon, I put the ornaments on.

I debated whether or not to bother with the tree. Who would enjoy it? I don't have any ornaments. Ornaments aren't free. Do I want to spend money on ornaments? Should I go and try to reclaim the ornaments people gave me when I was a kid but that were really intended for my parents? Like, the one that says "Merry Christmas 1979" with my 3 month old picture on the middle of the ball. Nah, the ornaments of my youth weren't really my style and I kind of wanted to start fresh. In typical Stephanie fashion, I rebelled against traditional red and green and decided on a wintry motif with variations on a blue-green color and silver. I like it. I can already tell that I'm going to have a lot of good quiet times in this room with this little tree. I even drove by the front of the house to see the lit tree through the window. I admit, it was pretty cool knowing that it was *my * house. I'll admit that my Christmas spirit has been waning these past few years, but I think the tree has brought it back.

Feliz Navidad!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Awesome tree Steph!! I love the blue and green! I'm sure to have one next year. This year, I'm focused on other things - like appliances. :) Love ya girl!

Claire Walker said...

Thanks for the shout out that I helped with a couple of branches. But remember, if it wasn't for me, you would have a flat tree!!!

I know...the humility...it blows you away!

Merry Christmas, Steph. I love being you roommate!