Wednesday, October 1, 2008

single serving

**Disclaimer: This is not a blog intended to evoke pity, but rather, an observation on traditions, etc.


OK. Good. Glad I got that warning out of the way (:
Tonight, I went to the store to buy yet another wedding shower gift. Now, I kind of enjoy the process of looking at the registry and coming up with the perfect gift to fit my single-gal budget. I feel grown up, and I especially feel adult-ish when I am buying baby gifts. That's when the whole "Wow, I'm old enough to have friends with kids!" thing kicks in.
Every time I buy one of these gifts, I selfishly wonder if I will ever be on the receiving end of a bridal registry. And there is really only one thing I dream
about: the Kitchen Aid Mixer.





















Now, here's the dilemma. Being as though I am 29 and own a house, I have already acquired a lot of household items: Cutlery, plates, Le Creuset cookware, a crock pot, steamer/rice cooker, pans, pots, casserole dishes, etc. So, the question is....do I keep adding things to my home or hold out in the hopes that one day I'll be able to register for them? Do I spend the next few years using my sad little hand mixer, or do I treat myself to the real-deal right now since whether I'll ever get married is unknown?

Again, this is not a 'woe is me' post about my solitude. Sure, I have those every-so-often, but I think it's completely normal. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that I am constantly having people trying to comfort me with their wisdom of how singleness is just as wonderful as marriage if that's the season the Lord has you in blah blah blah. Sometimes I believe that. But, if it's so great--and IF you are called to a lifetime of singleness--why isn't there a celebration of that? Do single people not need to create homes and foster their gifts of hospitality with the help of said mixer? And it's not really about the gifts, but rather, the acknowledgment that the Lord's purposes for my life as a single are just as exciting and worth celebrating as the gals who are getting married.

Just something to chew on courtesy of my latest trip to Bed, Bath & Beyond (:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I had an extra $300 I would so be sending you a Kitchen Aid right now.