Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Question: What do solving equations and the Civil War have in common?

Answer: I will be teaching about both of these next year! Yes, 8th grade Math as well as U.S. History--Colonization to Reconstruction. These two subjects are at completely different ends of the spectrum...but I am excited! My degree is actually in Secondary History Education which means that I took A LOT of history classes in college. I mean, I even took an entire class on the Reformation. Crazy! My first three years of teaching were in social studies...two years of Freshman World Geo. and one tortuous year of Texas History. So, it is nice that I will get to use my degree and all of those college hours for something I love--U.S. History!!!!

My love for U.S. History began in 8th grade when I entered Mrs. Everett's classroom. She was simply phenomenal. I loved how she knew all of the little fun facts that the textbooks left out. I loved how she made the stories come to life. I loved how she loved her job! (And I thought it was funny that she had a life-size poster of Mel Gibson inside of her cabinets. This reminds me of when I put Pete Sampras's 'Got Milk' add inside of my school locker in high school...oh, those were the days).

Anyway, Mrs. Everett made such an impact on me that I wanted to be just like her. So I went to college and did just that. I would run through the dorms at night in my "Gettysburg" t-shirt and tell all of my friends interesting factoids. Now, I will be getting the chance to live out a dream that I've had since I was 14 years old. A dream I had almost forgotten and given up on. The timing couldn't be better and I am so grateful for God's faithfulness.

Some of my close friends know that on my birthday last September, I felt that this was going to be my own "Year of Jubilee". This just basically meant that I felt that God was going to fulfill some very specific desires that I've had for a long time (you can take a stab as to what you think those are!). But as this 27th year is coming to an end, I'm realizing that He has given me so much these last 10 months: a house, a solid group of friends, and now a chance to live out a dream I've had for almost 14 years. It is easy to get wrapped-up in ourselves, compare our haves and have-nots with others, and think we've been passed-over. But today I was reminded of a forgotten dream and am getting a chance to fulfill it. Thank you Jesus!!!

4 comments:

Claire Walker said...

I finally have time to check your blog and you have a plethera of enteries! I don't have time to read them all now, but expect comments on all of them as soon as I can. This next week and half will be NUTSO at camp, but I'll call as soon as I can.

Miss you so much!

hollie-o said...

Wow - you will definitely have an interesting year! I'm excited for you!

Anne Wiman said...

yea! i'm so happy for you. that will be a fun change and can't wait for you to share all your fun factoids with us!!

Anonymous said...

So good to see you last night...sad it's been too long. We will have to change that!
Thanks for helping me get there! :)