Monday, March 17, 2008

adventures in spring-breaking...day one

Well, I have nothing to complain about because of two magical little words: SPRING BREAK!!!!
It could not have gotten here soon enough. It is a curious thing how much I can doubt my career choice but then be so grateful and sure of it this time each year. I just don't think I could ever work at a job that was year-round. But, ya never know.

I kicked off the week with a wonderful lunch with a dear high school friend. Barbara and I met our sophomore year at Calvary. We played sports together and were in a lot of the same classes, however, we weren't the closest of friends outside of school. My senior year of college, I was honored to be a bridesmaid in Barbara and Fern's wedding. It was such a blessing to be able to see how the Lord had worked in her life since our high school days. It was also quite nice to be able to walk down the aisle alongside a Tyson Beckford lookalike. (for those of you unfamiliar with Tyson, allow me to introduce you:



















Anyway, Barbara and I lost touch for a few years but reconnected a while back. What a blessing this has been. We met for lunch at the Main Street Bread Baking Company in downtown Grapevine and talked for almost four hours. It was such an uplifting and encouraging time and there is a depth to our friendship that is so rare and refreshing. For the rest of the day, I was just floating on God's goodness, thanking him for my friendships, past and present. I thanked Him for friends who long to know Jesus more and for allowing me to walk with them.

The other night, I was reading in Acts and it had a reference to Psalm 16. Verses 5-11 have been a breath of fresh air. I love the Psalms.
Psalm 16:5-11
O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup.
You maintain my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Yes, I have a good inheritance.
I ill bless the Lord who has given me counsel. My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.
I have set the Lord always before me;
Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices;
My flesh also will rest in hope.
For you will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will you allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

I love the Psalms.

No comments: