Saturday, December 6, 2008

day of disasters

It is 7:15 on Saturday night and I am in my pajamas watching another installment of Fa-la-la-la-Lifetime. The current movie is kind of a modern, holiday-themed take on the 'Parent Trap'. Very riveting.

Anyhow, I just don't have the energy to do anything else tonight after the day I've had. It started out nicely enough. I put some mulling spices on the stove, showered, straightened my hair, and had some coffee. Then, I kind of smelled a burning odor and thought that I must have left my flat iron on. Nope. It was turned off. As I opened my bedroom door, I saw that the living room filled with smoke. The mulling spices were literally on fire! Worried that my house was going to smell like smoke forever, I opened up every window and Googled "ways to get smoke smell out of house". The most positive sounding solution was to boil vinegar and to set out little bowls of vinegar all of the house. Apparently, vinegar absorbs smells. **Sidenote--I have previously blogged about my love for vinegar, but I have a whole new appreciation for it after this incident, as well as another miracle it performed earlier in the week**

The smoke smell is still here a little bit, but it's going away. I'm hoping that it will be gone tomorrow for good.

After the stovetop debacle, I decided to engage in some crafting while closely monitoring the boiling vinegar. The other day, I purchased this neat little rotary blade that has interchangeable blades. I wanted to use the decorative one to add some flair to some cards. As I was changing the blade, I cut my thumb with the tool. It stung a little but I have a pretty good threshold for pain. My finger started to bleed. Not just a little bit, but a lot. Gushing would be a better way to describe it. I applied some pressure to it, but nothing. It was just blood, blood, and more blood. My stupid thumb bled for about 30 minutes--ridiculous.

Anyway, I had just about all the fun that I could handle so I'm calling it a night. Today was kind of indicative of how my week at school went. Here's hoping that next week is much, much better. (:

2 comments:

melissaj said...

Steph!!! Sad to hear about your day! I am glad that you and your house are alright now! I miss you...it's been too long. Let's hang this week! Love you girl!

The Aussie Mommy said...

oh shules... i'm sorry!