Monday, February 2, 2009

it's a right-handed world

I have been working on some new crafts lately. One of the things I've been playing around with are little appliques. Tonight, I applied one of my creations to a onesie. To secure the applique, I attempted to do a blanket stitch. It gives it a more handmade look than the sewing machine and I like it. So, I watched a tutorial online to learn how to do this stitch. I watched, and I practiced. The stitch is supposed to look like an 'L'. Mine were not turning out so well. I watched the video again. And again. Then I practiced some more. Then I failed again.
Frustrated, I walked away from the project for a couple of hours. After getting tired of watching the ridiculousness that is "The Bachelor", I decided to turn off the TV and watch the video just one more time. As I watched, I realized that the lady demonstrating the stitch was right handed. Eureka! As a lefty, I as doing the stitch the same way but not getting the same effect because I was coming at it from the wrong direction. So, I tried doing the stitch just like the lady but in reverse and it worked...Hooray!!! Most of the time I love being left-handed. It is one of those things that makes you different from most of the population but without it being something weird like an eleventh toe. But, this little experience reminded me of some painful kindergarten memories. We only had right-handed scissors in that class so my cutting and pasting was always a little sub-par which drove me crazy. I am sure a counselor would pinpoint this moment as the beginning of my perfectionist personality--haha.

But I digress...

I'll try to get a picture of this project. Crafts and sewing have been such a release for me lately. I love love love creating stuff. Ultimately, I would love to figure out a way to parlay this into a side-job. There are a ton of Etsy shops out there, so I would need something really unique and special. Anyone have any ideas or want to go into business with me????

1 comment:

melissaj said...

I am glad you are a lefty and don't have an 11th toe!