Saturday, June 16, 2007

Mother's and Father's Day


With the arrival of Father's Day tomorrow, it occurred to me that I completely forgot to give my mom a little shout out for Mother's Day. So, since my Dad always says, "You're mother and I are One", I will combine these two special days.

I just love my parents. They are amazing, and I don't think that I tell them that enough. I am so grateful to have such godly parents who have led our family and are still willing to do almost anything for my brother and me. If I am ever blessed to have children I will have great examples to follow.

My Dad
There are a few things that my Dad has said to me that have stuck with me through the years. One of the funniest ones was when I called in tears the day before a job interview a few years ago because my suit no longer fit. Rather than offering a word of encouragement, he simply said, "Get a girdle". Well, that wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. But I did it, the suit fit again, I got the job and quickly ran off the 5 pounds or so. We joke that this harsh, yet helpful advice, is going to be the epitaph on his tombstone.

But seriously, my Dad has always been there when I need him. This year in particularly, he led me through the process of buying a home. I was asking him questions constantly. Still, he never got tired of answering them. Even though he'll be the first to tell you he's not a handy-guy, he has been able to help me with little home repairs and issues. So thanks Dad!

My Mom
She is the most beautiful person inside and out. My Mom has a tender heart and has taught me so much about who Jesus is, ever since I was itty-bitty. Out of all of the things I appreciate about her, this is definitely the most important. But I do get a kick out of how she gets a little giggly around 9 at night.

Thanks Mom and Dad for being so great. I realize that not everyone has people like y'all to raise them and to teach them truth. I'm so grateful for you both (:

3 comments:

melissaj said...

I love the girdle story...advice to live by!

Anonymous said...

I always loved your parents. They are awesome. By the way, I'm glad you get to see United in Houston. I had some friends who saw them here and they said it was great. I hope you are having a good summer.

stephanie said...

Hi Coach Glenn! It is so good to hear from you and thanks for reading. I hope that you had a great day with your boys (: