Thursday, June 14, 2007

on a break

When I was a freshman in college, I discovered running. It was a great way for me to relieve the unbelievable amount of stress that I was putting on myself. And good ol' ORU kind of had this requirement where you had to get so many aerobic points each semester. It was actually for a grade! So what started out as a means to escape school became a reliable friend. And nine years later, one of my most favorite things to do is lace up my running shoes and just go.

Running and I are kind of having a rough go of it right now. Summer in Texas is not really conducive to a good run. I decided to do laps on the track at Marcus HS last Sunday afternoon and just about passed out--literally. If I want to beat the heat, I would have to run super-early in the morning...and that's not safe for me to do by myself. The few evening runs I've gone on have been better heat-wise, but it has left my body ravaged by mosquito bites.

So, my only opportunity for reasonable physical activity is at the Health and Athletic Center. I didn't want to like going there, but I do. I have tried some new classes, am enjoying the weight machines, and have even found a that I like the elliptical. It's funny because I have always been kind of anti-gym. I've felt that mixing it up a little would not make me the die-hard runner I used to think I was. How ridiculously prideful is that?????

I will miss running outside until it starts to cool down in the fall. Like I've said before, running is when I feel that I hear the Lord speak to me with the most clarity. But, I will make the most of the nice, air-conditioned facility with the teacher discount. And I know that God doesn't just want to hang out with me only when I'm running. I will learn to quiet my heart in other places and expect Him to show up in a new way. But I cannot wait to hit the pavement again.

No comments: