Friday, June 1, 2007

in the land of the living

Just some quick little thoughts on a Friday night...
Tonight, Michelle, Sarah and I went to B.J.'s for dinner. Sarah is moving back to Nebraska on Monday so this was kind of a last supper of sorts. Anyway, we are back at the house and they are watching some movie I've never heard of starring David Schwimmer...interesting. I'm trying not to invest too much into it because at any moment, my brother, Matthew, will be arriving from H-town. This will be a short visit but I am excited nonetheless. He truly has become my best friend through the years which is nothing short of a miracle. I used to be very mean to him growing up, and I was even known to beat him up when he won at one-on-one basketball in the driveway. There were even golf clubs involved a few times. But maybe I'm revealing a bit too much....
Anyway, I sought forgiveness, he granted it, we both grew up, and now we're great friends. One of the things I love most about growing up is the way that your relationships evolve with your parents and sibling (or siblings for those of you who were blessed with more). Matthew truly is one of the most godly people that I know. He is so much wiser than I am--even though he is 2 years younger. The prideful part of me doesn't want to admit when he is right because he is younger, but so often he is there when I need him with an encouraging word and he always speaks truth.
During our last conversation, we were talking about a song that we had been singing at church and he looked up the scripture that a certain song was based on. This led him to Psalm 24 and I have been camping out in Psalms a lot this week. I have been encouraged by David's honesty with the Lord and how he doesn't hold back--whether it's good or bad.

So I guess the point of the post is this:
1. Be nice to your kid brother (he might grow up to be a man of wisdom)
2. Read Psalms (24 and 25 are a great place to start:)
3. Don't rent "Duane Hopwood"(that's per Sarah and Michelle)