Wednesday, November 19, 2008

alley etiquette

Until I bought my house, I had never driven in an alley. Now, it is a daily part of my life. I have lately encountered a little bit of a problem: who yields to whom in an alley??!?!?! Because I am scared of confrontation and want to please everyone (read: pushover), I do all of the yielding when another car is coming at me.

So here are some questions that I would love some feedback on...
1. Is there a right or wrong side to enter an alley?
2. Is there a rule about who should pull aside when two cars are driving in opposing directions?
3. What is an acceptable speed limit for alley driving?

Yes, this a riveting topic. I promise to bring you something a little better tomorrow (:

1 comment:

melissaj said...

I grew up on an alley...I didn't know some people didn't have alleys until like the 5th grade! Let me try and shed some light on the alley situation. There is no right or wrong way to enter an alley...just which ever entrance you are closest to. There really is no rule other than if you are closest to the entrance/exit and can back up easily then it is you who should...but if it is in the middle of the alley then it is whoever is feeling generous at that moment. Speed limit...6 MPH.