Monday, November 24, 2008

next to godliness

Well, over the last year or so, I've experimented with different household cleaners. I've tried making my own detergent, sprays, and soaps. I guess I got kind of freaked out about all of the chemicals floating around, so I thought it would be easier to start getting into these habits now so I'd be ready if kids when kids come into the picture. We wouldn't want their little mouths and bodies to be ingesting chemicals, now would we?

I love this little spray cleaner...it is fantastic! I checked this book out from the library last spring and put this little concoction together. It smells so great and costs pennies. Oh, and the peppermint soap is so refreshing--you can even use it for an invigorating body wash.

Peppermint All-Purpose Spray

2 cups warm water
2 T of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Magic Soap (you can even find this at kroger's or a health food store)
2 T of white vinegar
4 drops of orange oil
4 drops of patchouli oil

My next favorite thing is vinegar. If you pour a little white vinegar into your washer with your detergent, it makes for an awesome fabric softener. And no, you don't smell like salad dressing...the smell isn't noticeable at all. But, you will notice the softness of your clothes.

For dishwasher/dishsoap, I just use Seventh Generation products. I have been pleased with the results. What finally made me switch was thinking about those chemicals going onto the plates/silverware/cups that I eat/drink with. Kind of scary, huh?

Now, I'm not one of those "green" fanatics. However, I do think that's important to be mindful of all of the unnatural stuff in our midst. All of those chemicals can't be all that good. Ok...now go make some of that spray--you won't be sorry!!!

2 comments:

Matt and Emily said...

I love that I can comment now. Yay for you. I will try out your recipe. Have you made your own laundry detergent yet? I have the recipe if you want it. I always add a little oxi-clean to it to feel better about it.

lylas

Tara said...

Yea, I'm glad you posted this recipe! I will be trying it out!